The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development invites you to comment on the proposed Debt Collectors Amendment Draft Bill.
▪ amend and insert certain definitions; to make the Act applicable to attorneys;
▪ make provision for the registration and regulation of debt collectors interns;
▪ provide that the list of registered debt collectors may be submitted to Parliament electronically;
▪ further regulate the processes dealing with improper conduct of debt collectors;
▪ provide for the payment of admission of guilt fines by debt collectors in respect of certain cases of improper conduct;
▪ provide for the appointment of inspectors to assist the Council for Debt Collectors with investigations of complaints against debt collectors;
▪ empower the Council for Debt Collectors to tax or assess any account or statement of costs;
▪ further regulate the administration of trust accounts of debt collectors;
▪ extend the matters in respect of which regulations may be made;
▪ empower the Council for Debt Collectors to delegate certain of its powers and functions;
▪ empower the Council for Debt Collectors to exempt debt collectors from certain requirements of the Act; to require the Rules Board for Courts of Law and the Council for Debt Collectors to make recommendations to the Minister on fees and expenses payable in respect of debt collection.